Translate

Monday, April 13, 2015

Meet the Runners! Choose one to sponsor!

These are the Bahay Pag-asa residents who are participating in the Tran-Pacific Masskara Marathon.  One the same day that Br. Patrick will be running his marathon in Santa Cruz, California, our runners will be participating at Bahay Pag-asa, Bacolod, Philippines.  In order to protect their privacy and safety, our residents are behind masks which they made to represent an animal "avatar" that they are using for this event.  Please look through this gallery of photos and descriptions, and consider sponsoring a boy for a certain amount (for instance, $1 per mile).  Post your pledge here or on our Bahay Pag-asa Bacolod page on Facebook.  Scroll to the bottom for detailed directions.

Runner #1:  Red Carabao with Striped Horns
I am 14 years old and in Grade 5.  My mask is of a carabao or water buffalo - a very important animal to farmers in the Philippines.  Before I came to Bahay Pag-asa I did not go to school regularly, but now I am working to continue my education.  I hope to be a policeman or navigator when I finish my schooling and I want to help my younger brothers and sisters to get their education.  I hope that you will sponsor me in this event.

Runner #2: Gray Elephant
My avatar is the elephant - a very big animal, which is funny because I am very small in size.  I am 15 years old and I am at Grade 4 level in school.  I want to get my education through high school and then continue to study so that I can be a seaman or a policeman.  If I can get a good job than I can help my family repair their house.  I hope that you will be my sponsor for this marathon.

Runner #3: Green and Yellow Cat
Hello, I created this mask of a cat or "kuring" as we say on this island.  I am 15 years old and have finished my first year of high school.  I would like to become a seaman or navigator because I could visit many places and could earn money to help my family.  They need my help to have enough food and to fix our house.  I hope you will sponsor the cat!

Runner #4:  Philippine Eagle (Gray)
My mask represents the Philippine Eagle, a very large and strong bird that lives here.  I am 17 years old but have never been able to go to school, so I am only at grade level 2.  I want to keep learning, even though it is difficult for me.  I hope to be a policeman someday.  I want to be able to help my family and especially my siblings.  I want them to have their education early in their lives.  Please sponsor me and I will do my best.

Runner #5: Red Carabao with Black Horns
I am 15 years old and I have chose to make a mask of a red carabao with black horns.  I have finished grade five and I plan to continue with my education.  My hope is that someday I will be in the army or the navy in the Philippines.  My family needs my help just to have food and to fix their house.  My plan is to help them with their problems.  Please sponsor the red carabao with black horns!

Runner #6: Monkey
We have many monkeys in the Philippines, so I decided to make this mask.  I am 15 years old and have finished my 2nd year of high school.  I plan to continue on to college and study business or criminology.  If I am successful, I will help my family improve their house.  Please sponsor the monkey!

Runner #7: Red Hawk 
People are telling me that I look like an angry bird...but I am a red hawk.  I am 16 years old and in grade 6.  My plan is to finish my elementary and high school education and then study culinary arts.  If I can become a successful chef, then I can help my mother, because her house is almost falling down.  Please sponsor me and I will keep doing my best to reach my goal.

Runner #8: The Spider
I chose a spider ("damang" in our language) for my mask.  A spider is a good runner because it has 8 legs, but it would need 4 pairs of running shoes.  I have finished my 1st year of high school and my plan is to go on to college eventually and study navigation and/or culinary arts.  I like to use my skills to make interesting designs and I hope to use all my talents to become a productive citizen.  If you sponsor me, I promise not to crawl into your house.

Runner #9:  The Red Wolf
We don't have wolves in the Philippines, but the wolf is a favorite animal for me.  I am 14 years old but I lived far away from schools and I am just beginning my education.  Someday I hope to be a successful businessman.  My grandmother raised me and she lives in a very small house made of bamboo and nipa.  When I am successful, I will build her a stronger house so she will be safe during the typhoons.  Please sponsor me, the wolf!

Runner #10:  The Philippine Dog
There are lots of dogs in the Philippines and they are good at finding food.  I am 15 years old and am at high school level (1st year).  I like to learn and my dream is to be a math teacher.  I want to have a steady job, to teach many boys and girls how to do math, and to be able to help my mother.  I hope that you will sponsor the dog.

Runner #11: The Philippines Rooster
There are many, many roosters in the Philippines and every morning you can hear them waking up the neighborhoods.  I am 18 years old and my goal is to be a math teacher or a policeman.  I want to do well so that I can help my siblings to get a good education.  I hope that you will sponsor me!

Runner #12: Brown Philippine Eagle
My mask is of a Philippine Eagle which is the national bird of the Philippines.  It is also called the "monkey-eating eagle."  I am 16 years old, in 3rd year high school and my hope is to be a graphic artist.  I would like to work on animation projects.  I want to be successful so that I can help my mother fix her house.  Please sponsor me!

Runner #13: The Ant
Ants are small, but when they work together they can do anything.  I am 16 years old and in 2nd year high school.  I really enjoy music - I play drums and guitar.  I would like to be a musician and also study to be a civil engineer.  I want to succeed so that I can help my family with their business and to improve their house.  I hope that you will sponsor the Ant!

Runner #14:  Elephant with Red and Blue Eyes
Some people think that all elephants look alike - but mine has one red eye and one blue eye.  I am 16 and hope to be a chemical engineer or a doctor someday.  I am in 2nd year high school.  I enjoy dance and like to learn new dances. I want to find success in my life so that I can help my siblings go to school.  Please sponsor the elephant with the colorful eyes!

Runner #15: The Horse
Horses can run a long way without getting tired.  I have a long way to go in my life, but I believe that I can make it.  I am 19 years old and in high school (1st year).  I like to cook and want to study culinary arts so that I can be a chef in a restaurant.  I want to help my family because their house needs a lot of work and my siblings need to go to school.  Please sponsor the "kabayo."

Runner #16: Carabao with Red Horns
My carabao mask has a black face and red horns.  I am 16 years old and in 2nd year high school.  My plan is to go to college to study engineering.  I have a big family but they live in a very small bamboo house.  I want to be able to help them build a better house and I also want to make sure that my younger brothers and sisters get to attend school.  Please sponsor me in the Transpacific Masskara Marathon!

Runner #17: The Blue Eagle
I call my mask, the Blue Eagle.  I am 14 years old and in grade 5, because I could not go to school for while when I was living on my own.  I like reading, music (I am learning piano) and science.  I would like to go to college someday and study architecture.  I also hope that, someday, I can find my brother and that we can be together again.  I hope that you will sponsor the blue eagle!

Runner #18: Decorated Elephant
In India, elephants are decorated sometimes, so I wanted to decorate my elephant.  I am 15 years old and at grade 3 level, because I have not had many opportunities to go to school.  My hope is that someday I can be a policeman or a doctor.  When I have a job, I plan to help my grandmother buy rice so that she can have something to eat.  Please sponsor the "decorated elephant."

We will be posting additional runners soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment