Translate

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

The Classroom as Sacred Ground

Over the course of this last busy week, I have been waking up every morning to find my chalkboard covered in facts about stars, planets, and the universe.  I'm not really used to this.  Usually, if I want science notes on the board I have to put them there myself.  It turns out that this is all the work of one boy here - our newest resident.  He is a former street kid and seems to have had little formal schooling.  But what he does have is a big interest in learning.  Two nights ago, the clouds gave way for a while and we set up the telescope.  Mars and Saturn were out, but a thundercloud blocked our view too quickly.  So we looked at some big bright stars - Vega, Antares and Arcturus.  This boy was there - eager to get his first real look through a telescope.  Yesterday, he approached me and said, "I read in a book that Jupiter rotates once every 10 hours.  Is that true?"  I realized that I wasn't sure...it seemed too fast.  But, he was right and he added this to his board facts early the next morning, before I was even awake.

As a teacher I'm used to forcing the issue.  Too often I give up on inspiring and resort to some sort of thinly-veiled threat of failure.  But when a boy who spent a very long time sleeping on sidewalks in the marketplace greets me every morning with his desire to learn all he can, I have to recognize that I may have stumbled upon sacred ground.  A burning bush would be less surprising than this manifestation of hope and wonder from a kid who should be concerned only with food and shelter.  Despite my best efforts, it's hard to be cynical here.

No comments:

Post a Comment