Translate

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Continuing Education is Key to the Mission of Bahay Pag-asa

Ran is a former resident of Bahay Pag-asa who spent months in a jail before coming to Bahay Pag-asa.  During his time in jail, a friend who was in the same cell died because the warden refused to summon medical help for the boy.  Ran has a keen intellect and is a fast learner.  Recently he asked me for a copy of the Iliad and the Odyssey as well as a book on baking, since he is looking at the possibility of working as a cook, a driver or an auto repair man.  Ran has taken advantage of funds that have been donated to the Bahay Pag-asa Scholarship Fund, at BPYC Bacolod. 

I recieved a message from Ran today: "Bro. I got your books today  Thank you for sending it.  Thank you for taking an effort and the time you spent just to send it over to me.  I am already through with my training in TESDA Bro. and I am planning to pursue a course in automotive. Will you help me Bro?"

I replied, " You're welcome Ran. Present the staff at BPYC with evidence of completion of your TESDA course. Talk to them about your plans. If they do not have funds available to assist you in the next step, they can let me know what is needed and I will work on it. I just need to work through BPYC. Good luck with all of this."

Ran sometimes helps with projects at Bahay Pag-asa like these new cabinets.  We are committed to working with Ran to make sure that he has the chance to find a career that can help him support himself and assist his family as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment